Since the first Candelo Show in 1883, there have been three years when there was no Show held. There was no Show in 1884 as the Committee dealt with the acquisition of the official grounds, the change to the AH & DF Association and organisation of the 1885 Show. The 1919 Show was cancelled due to the extreme drought conditions prevailing at that time and the 1952 Show was cancelled in response to the devastating bushfires which ravaged the entire district in February.
On 25th July 1882 the Candelo Progress Association passed a resolution to:
“request the Minister for Lands to reserve permanently a sufficient area for the purpose of an Agricultural and Pastoral Showground.”
The Candelo and Eden Union newspaper of 2nd November 1882 reported:
“Mr Surveyor Ebbsworth has received instructions to report upon a suitable site for an Exhibition ground.”
Horticultural Society stages Show in School of Arts.
On 21st December 1883, the Candelo Horticultural Society held the very first Candelo Show in the Candelo School of Arts. The Committee reported the success attending their first effort and submitted the following particulars of entries:
Flowers and Fruits 28
There were also numerous non competitive exhibits in each of the different sections in Fine Arts, Fancy and Industrial sections. The report stated that: “the condition of exhibits was very good and that all available space in the School of Arts was utilised. Despite the exceedingly dry unfavourable weather the attendance was large comprising visitors from Bega and surrounding districts.”
Showgrounds dedicated and Horticultural Society becomes AH & DF Association with extended membership.
No Show held.
On 21st April 1884 a suitable area was secured and tenders were called for fencing of the Showground. On 19th September 1884 an area of 13.6 acres (5.53 hectares) was officially gazetted as the Candelo Showground.
The Candelo Horticultural Society met in September and voted to become the Candelo Agricultural, Horticultural and Dairy Farming Association.
The original committee comprising W.J. Lane Esq. J.P.; W. Woodd Esq.; Thos Beare & A.J. Cook were joined by:
W.F. Coman; H.E. Wren; John Farraher; James Porter; John Nadin; Alex Robertson; Patrick Heffernan; Thomas Heffernan; J.T. Collins; G.E. Ward; J.W. Sharpe; James Cochrane and LJ. O’Toole.
The new Committee adopted a Prize Schedule with a total prize money on offer reaching £230 and covering 214 classes.
First Show as AH & DF Association
The first Show under the new name was held on Thursday and Friday 26th and 27th February 1885. A copy of the original Schedule is held by the association as part of its archives.
Show cancelled due to severe drought
Show cancelled due to severe bushfire damage to district.
The 19th January 2020 Candelo Show was cancelled due to the 2019-2020 summer bushfires.
The ongoing bushfire crisis, the travel restrictions and the overwhelming strain on the shows volunteers who were also working in the Rural Fire Service made it impossible for the show to continue.
Kameruka Pavilion – Celebrating 100 years in 2008
18 April 1907
Proposed H.P. Williams seconded E.G. Ward ‘That the Society take steps to build a new Pavilion and that the structure be of brick.’
19 September 1907
Mr Champneys (Manager of Kameruka) consented to allow bricks for the new Pavilion to be made at Kameruka brickyards free of charge.
£127.2.0 subscribed for the new Pavilion.
3 October 1907
Received Mr Hines tender for 45,000 bricks at 38/- per thousand.
Received Mr Hines (local builder & birckmaker/layer) tender for 75,000 bricks at 37/- per thousand delivered to the Showground.
Mr Tang (another local builder) offered to submit a plan for the new Pavilion.
Proposed J.H. Gordon seconded A.E. Blomfield that the Committee accept Mr Tangs offer – size of Pavilion to be 70 feet x 50 feet – cost not to exceed £450.
11 October 1907
Two plans for the construction of the new Pavilion were received from both Mr J. Hines and Mr Tang.
Mr Hines Plan: Jno. Hines £347.14.0
Young & Williams £420.0.0
W. Tonkin £420.0.0
Mr Tangs Plan: Jno. Hines £442.14.0
Young & Williams £557.0.0
W. Tonkin £505.0.0
W. Manning £574.0.0
18 October 1907
Mr Hines was asked (by the Committee) to ‘push along with the manufacture of bricks as soon as possible.’
Committee resolved that advertisements calling for tenders for the construction and completion of the Pavilion be placed in both the Candelo Guardian and the Candelo & Eden Union newspapers as well as the Bega Star.
Subscriptions towards the cost of the proposed building were collected and amounted to £4.5.0.
Various amendments to the original plan were adopted
Office to be partitioned off inside Pavilion (to the left of the front entrance).
24 October 1907
Mr Hines won the contract to build Pavilion to Mr Tang’s plan with alteration to doorways and windows as per meeting of 18 October 1907.
Revised cost of building will be £500 – an application for a Special Grant will be sent to local Member.
21 November 1907
Mr Hines’ amended tender of £416.14.0 including alterations was accepted. Committee set up to meet Mr Hines and stress that £450 was the full amount to be expended on the new Pavilion.
Mr Hines and his men were allowed to camp in the old Pavilion as well as store timber therein.
A motion: ‘That we ask the Bank Manager to prepare a new bond, the amount to be £600 and ask that interest for same be 5%.’
9 January 1908
Mr Hines asked that cattle be stopped from interfering with the new building.
19 January 1908
Mr Hines asks for £150 progress payment.
13 January 1908
Committee writes to Minister for Agriculture re opening the new Pavilion – second choice – Mr Woodd the local Member.
Design for fittings for the new Pavilion accepted.
Donations towards building fund received from Kameruka £20 and Mr Champneys £5.
6 February 1908
Mrs J.H. Gordon donated 30/- towards cost of picture rails.
Circular steps (at northern door) to be installed at a cost of £1.15.6.
Cost of fittings for Secretary’s Office accepted – £2.10.6.
Cost of shelving and fixtures – £37.4.0.
13 February 1908
Colour inside the new Pavilion to be cream.
Donations towards the building fund amounting to £51.15.0 were received.
23 February 1908
President W.J. Collins opened to new Pavilion
£39.0.0 collected towards te building fund over the two days of the Show. This money brought the total subscribed so far to £248.12.0.
The building was insured for £100.0.0.